Friday 25 May 2012

How to be Kawaii Grunge

Today I am going to be talking to you about a style has been sweeping through the internet; KAWAII GRUNGE.
So what is Kawaii Grunge? Kawaii Grunge is some newfangled style subculture born off Tumblr that is the  blasphemous love-child of 90s anti-fashion and sickening cuteness.

Here is a guide explaining some of the super SRS BSNS criteria of how to achieve the Kawaii Grunge look as well as what is and isn't Kawaii Grunge and some people who are Kawaii Grunge.


If you are familiar with Tumblr, at some point you probably have been exposed to Kawaii Grunge before. Here are some of the ways you might have been exposed to the phenomenon. 

1) You may have had the pleasure of witnessing one of these delightful graphics. 

But I didn't say anything?
WHY ARE YOU BEING SO MEAN TO ME?!
If you weren't aware, death threats and unprovoked slandering your female peers while sounding like an 8 year old's perception of what a cool girl speaks like, is grunge.

2) You may have come across pictures of stylish people that other people use to try to promote their blogs, like these.

~♥Pastel/Kawaii blog♥~


3) or just anything pastel coloured anythings pop up on your dash board

So much grunge in here, guys. DAT SWEATER.
Still having problems identifying what is Kawaii Grunge and what isn't? Here's some examples to help you out.

And now to things that aren't grunge. Sometimes with Kawaii Grunge, the fact that the original grunge movement was a social movement and counter culture going against mainstream society; where fashion and materialism was irrelevant, often gets overshadowed by animated pixel gifs and slut shaming. But it doesn't matter because Y.O.L.O and shut up bitch, you're ugly.


You might be Kawaii Grunge and not even realise it. If you have pastel coloured hair, are inspired by Japanese street fashion or dark styles, or you are a mermaid, you are Kawaii Grunge.
Here are some examples that you might be familiar with.

Want to see a before and after?
This blob fish went from "かわいいじゃないの"(not cute) to"とてもかわいい"(super cute) in a few short steps.

With enough pixel gifs, cloud backgrounds, glitter and offensive messages, you'll no longer be the fugly slut that you despise but a super Grunge, super Kawaii Tumblr Famous biatch 

Look how many notes he got, he's on his way to becoming internet royalty.
So there you have it, now you know what Kawaii Grunge is and how to achieve it. Now go my pretties, don your Creepers and stamp on the graves of all the forefathers of late 80s and early 90s grunge and write in glitter glue on their grave stones telling them what stupid hoes they are. 

I feel a lot better now I got that out of my system. 

I acknowledge the fact that there are people who practise styles that are actually influences by true grunge but like to combine itwith pastels, but this isn't aimed at those people. This is aimed at all the people who do not understand what grunge is, nor the characteristics of it, and slap the name on literally anything that is pastel coloured. Not convinced? Check out the Tumblr tag for it

Over and out~

23 comments:

  1. This post is so funny, I'm sick of seeing those people reblogging other pictures but promoting their own blog underneath.
    I recently posted a picture of a girl on the Code Note tumblr I run and someone reblogged it and added the words 'grunge/pastel' even though she was dressed gothy/rock gyaru style and all in black..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's so rude!

      I think I remember seeing that picture, I left the original poster a disapproving messages

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. My GAWD i think i love you. this is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lolll thanks :D I needed to let this out before i exploded

      Delete
  3. Is this like a new kind of kinderwhore thing?

    What I remember of the 90s (I was about 15-ish in 1999), it was mostly baggy denim dungarees and then later all that weird neo-space stuff - lots of silver lycra and orange trainers and thick lipliner and zip-up fleece jackets. Urgh.

    I'd much rather see riot grrl return!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really because kawaii grunge doesn't seem to have a characteristic aesthetic like kinderwhore. It's just a name that girls on tumblr who see a person with pastel coloured hair and don't know the name of the look a person has(if it has a name) so they just call it kawaii/pastel/soft grunge

      Delete
  4. Oh my, I'm caught between laughing/applauding at your amazing post (thank you, this is brilliant) and crying at that tumblr tag. Oh god why did I click it ;_;

    ReplyDelete
  5. ..... You're my absolute favorite blogger now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ♥♥♥♥ I learnedunlearned so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haa I'm glad you liked it :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ain't never commented on your blog before, but I had to de-lurk (and utilise a double negative) to say...

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really great for the most part, but rape threats... I think you can be grunge without making a joke out of really violent, traumatic issues. You know, Saturday morning Satan worship after your sugary cereal and consensual blood sacrifices are just the touch any kawaii grunge lifestyle needs, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very right. The style is pretty cool, but rape threats/jokes most certainly are not.

      Delete
  10. this is preety awesome ! (:
    check it out my blog and let me know what you think, I'm new on this stuff, so maybe you could help me :xxxx

    http://simplekawaiiprincess.blogspot.pt/

    hpe you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. um u forgot the super ott platforms wif plastic flowers put on, and personally i do think that its base is black, just wif overloaded . . shit on top :)

    and ofcause, i forgot the most important part: Lisa Frank !

    but this makes me think; arent there 2 diffrent new grunges ?(seeing as u talk alot bout pastels & call it kawaii). my guess is - the Only Pastels and black and then the 'everything Lisa Frank and dolfines ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOOH YEAH SISTER!

    birdiewearsatie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOLOL thank god there is a guide so people can understand what it is. love this!

    iomoo.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha awesome :D i just stumbled upon this and you are soo right
    these little kiddies are so annoying
    i mean it's not that i don't like pastels and stuff but why is that grunge? and what is so cool about writing cunt over almost everything???

    ReplyDelete